Monday, February 07, 2005

Million Dollar Sucker Punch

Protect yourself. Frankie told me, over and over. That's the first rule. But I didn't do it.

I kept my footwork. I worked my feet, shifting my weight onto my left foot when I led with my right. I bobbed my head, just like he said. I thought I was learning well. It was with great surprise -- shock, really -- when that punch hit me flat in the face. My eyes grew wide a split second before. I saw it coming much too late.

"Million Dollar Baby" hit me in a way I never thought a movie could. I've seen some brilliant movies lately, but never lost the idea that I was seeing brilliant movies. At the end of each movie, I would pick up my popcorn box and walk away. I couldn't do that at the end of this film. I sat there, trying to pick up the pieces of reality. Get my feet moving. Leave the theatre, go back home.

It all started with a movie that looked like a movie I might've seen before. Curmudgeonly coach with a heart of gold finally agrees to help the "girly girl" who proves to be better than the men he trained for so long. So you can see why I was unprepared for what happened.

Protect yourself. That's the first rule.

I sure blew that. Just like Frankie.

1 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger George Thomas Kysor said...

Hope you don't mind that I copied your post in my "Sampler" blog at http://kysor.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home