Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Desert Island Movies

Cat, I agree with you about Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, with one caveat. There was a movie in there I really wanted to see: I didn't give a hoot about the story in the movie, but the backstory about Frankie was tantalizing, and I felt cheated when I left the theater. Sometimes an incomplete backstory can add a lot to a movie (Fried Green Tomatoes comes to mind) but not in that dawg.

Recently we had a conversation about "desert island movies" -- that is, if we were to spend a year on a desert island with no Internet access (horrors!), what DVD's would we take with us, if we could only take ten? I scribbled a list on a napkin and promptly lost it. I share my new list here and throw down a gauntlet -- er, flipflop? -- what would one throw down on a desert island? -- anyway, I invite you to post your list, too.

And to those of you who read this blog and never comment -- use the comment function to leave YOUR lists! Or to tell me what you'd do if you were trapped on a desert isle with my list! Ha!

-------------

In no particular order, ten movies for my desert island. These aren't my Ten Greatest Movies, they are the ten movies I wouldn't mind watching again and again and again:

1. Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb

2. The Apartment

3. Double Indemnity

4. Broken Blossoms

5. The African Queen

6. Nashville

7. Giant

8. American Graffiti

9. Jezebel

10. The Frisco Kid

[hI didn't provide links -- if you don't know these movies, I recommend you Google them and rent a copy.]

Bring on the comments and replies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home