Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Simpsons Movie


I love The Simpsons. I especially love the fact that I feel so much better about my own family after I live with theirs for half an hour.

However, I don't recommend this movie. I've heard criticism that The Movie is just an extended episode. Were that true, I could heartily recommend this film. It isn't.

Sure, there are funny bits. I loved the opening where Homer talks about paying for something you could see for free. I laughed out loud at the four states surrounding Springfield. At Spider-Pig. At how much do-do Spider-Pig produces in two days. At President Schwarzenegger. But these funny bits don't make a cohesive whole.

And I think the worst part of it is that we don't get to see our favorite characters, like Apu. Sideshow Bob. Marge's sisters. A hundred others. We get 10 seconds of Comic Book Guy and Millhouse, but it's not enough. There's a crowd scene where most of them are standing, but they don't DO anything, or say anything. They sure don't help to advance the plot. This plot isn't worth advancing anyway.

So, do yourself a favor and stay home. Turn on Simpsons reruns, maybe the one where Apu sells Homer some cheap meat. THEN you'll laugh.

Thumb's down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home