Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Desert Island Movies - Counterpoint

I liked what George Lucas had to say at the AFI Award dinner, that his whole life is about movies. While my whole life isn't about movies, I certainly see its reflection in the movies I love.

This is my list. That desert island had better have an electric socket for the DVD player, that's all I have to say.

1. Lord of the Rings trilogy - If the entire trilogy isn't “allowed” on this particular desert island, I would go with Part Two, The Two Towers, which really gets into the personalities of the evil and the righteous.

2. Superman - Although this story has been around for more than 50 years, it’s never been told as well, with a super man quite human.

3. Groundhog Day - A great tale of a selfish weatherman who lives the same day over and over, until he gets it right.

4. Starship Troopers - Verhoeven’s violent rendition, without apologies, of Robert Heinlein’s masterpiece, including commercials. It’s a how-to on turning a bunch of individuals into unthinking fighting teams who hate the enemy (and don’t look too closely), made more poignant with young, beautiful talent.

5. Forbidden Planet - The original epic that lassoed me into my love of sci fi movies. This movie creates all the icons used shamelessly by so many later films.

6. Pillow Talk - While I was a Doris Day long before Pillow Talk came out, this one put it all together for this great star. A singer, a dancer, yes, but nobody knew about her incredible comic timing.

7. Alien - Nothing could be more frightening.

8. War and Peace (Voyna i mi) - the 1968 Russian version, the edited one of 6 hours. Tolstoy was all about individuals who could change the world, and zeitgeist, living in a world that could accept the change.

9. Fried Green Tomatoes - An emotional story -- no, two -- about what family is all about, even a family that isn't easily recognizable.

10. Star Wars - The movie that changed the world and changed me. I could finally come out of the closet as a sci fi fan.

2 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger catattack said...

From umAL

my desert island list (also in no particular order and subject to change at any time):

1. The Apartment
2. Annie Hall
3. Giant
4. The Man Who Would Be King
5. Mr. Roberts
6. Double Indemnity
7. Godfather Part I
8. Zulu
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Layer Cake (just because it would take me the whole year to figure
it
out)

p.s. after I'd figured out Layer Cake, I'd have Tom Hanks Fed Ex me The Long Riders to round out my 10

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Rabbi Ruth Adar said...

Thanks, umAL... we have very similar tastes, it seems!

And thank you, Cat. We managed to not overlap even once, although I was tempted to put Star Wars on mine -- had it been 15 instead of 10 it would have been there.

Interesting exercise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home