Sunday, April 05, 2009

I Am Legend


I Am Legend is one of Will Smith's most successful films, but I had been avoiding watching the 2007 film. I had the DVD, but hadn't watched it until tonight. I had watched Omega Man, and was appalled at what they had done with it. Oh, it started out well, but you can only watch Charlton Heston muttering to himself for so long.

But in walks Smith and this new version, a version much closer to the Richard Matheson story. And, I'm happy to say, that all those worldwide moviegoers weren't wrong: I Am Legend is a successful mixture of sci fi and horror, and Smith himself carries it all. Because, let's face it, if we have to be in a circumstance where there's one guy left in the entire world, it had better be someone we like.

Will's character and a beautiful German shepherd named Sam are apparently the only sane creatures left. A cancer cure -- put together by, gasp, Emma Thompson -- killed most of the Earth's inhabitants and changed those she cured into zombies. And these zombies are like nothing you've ever seen. Bald, snarling, driven, with huge teeth and superhuman strength. No wonder Will and Sam don't venture out at night.

In an adventure like this, we want to know two things: how does he survive, and how does he keep from going crazy with solitude? And we get both answers, with a great ending that inspires and grabs the heart.

Thumb's up.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Sheryl said...

I loved Will Smith in this. There were so many great moments that showed his isolation and skin of the teeth hold on sanity. I didn't love the zombies. One minute, they were mindless and the next fiendishly clever - didn't make sense.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really like Will Smith AND Sci Fi, so this was a "must see" for me. I thought the film was excellent because Will Smith was excellent, the story was interesting, and I loved the dog! (Hated those zombies!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home